Disclaimer: This breakfast was made on a whim without prior experience of how to make eggs benedict. I also didn’t know how to make hollandaise sauce so I just made my own sauce with the ingredients I had, that would go well with it. Let’s just put it this way – I had my boyfriend on standby and ready to make something else in case this didn’t work. But I’m pleased to report it turned out great! So here’s the recipe for my salmon eggs benedict with potatoes
1 medium/large pot of water
Pinch of salt
4 slices of smoked salmon
4 biscuits or 4 slices of bread
2 potatoes sliced into 1.5 inch pieces
1 medium yellow onion
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
3 tbsp plain Greek yogurt (I like fage)
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp half and half
Pinch of salt
1 tsp housin sauce
1 tsp cumin powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
I recommended making the potatoes first, then the sauce and then the eggs. The eggs are fast so you don’t want to have them get cold while making potatoes.
1. Chop the yellow onion into small pieces (1/2 inch)
2. Heat a skillet with the olive oil and add onion once warm
3. Switch from high to medium heat once it starts to sizzle with the onion. Stir every couple of minutes until the onions become more translucent and golden
4. Add potatoes to pan, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and basil. Mix together
5. Mix the potatoes, once they are somewhat golden brown, cover pan and turn heat to medium low
6. Now you can start making the sauce
7. It’s easy – just mix all the ingredients together. It should be creamy like lotion but not watery. If it’s took thick add a bit more half and half. That’s it
8. Now start boiling water in a pot with a pinch of salt.
9. Don’t forget to give the potatoes a stir every once a while. Once they cut easily with a fork, they are ready. So just change the heat to warm or lowest heat
10. Take 4 small bowl (like really small bowls) and break one egg into each one carefully.
11. Once the water is boiled, slowly and carefully pour each egg into the pot, taking care not to let it splash too much. If you hold it too high and let it splash your pot will start to look like an alien life form as it cooks
12. Turn heat on pot to medium (still boiling but not too much) and cook uncovered for 3 minutes
13. While this is cooking, toast your bread or biscuits
14. Place salmon on the bread/ biscuit, then once eggs are cooked place an egg on top and pout the sauce over the egg.
15. Serve with potatoes and enjoy!