Healthy and yummy kid friendly recipe!
I’m sure that most parents and kids can agree that one of their favorite foods is pizza. What’s not to like? Its delicious comfort food and so easy to order delivery! Well an average 12″ medium pizza delivered from a chain restaurant can run you around 1500-1800 calories. If you make it at home it’ll take you about as much time to prepare it as it as it would for it to be delivered plus you’ll cut about 300-500 calories.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 medium whole wheat pizza crust (Boboli makes a good one)
- 1 jar of tomato sauce of your choice (Rao’s makes a good tomato basil sauce)
- 1.5 cups of part skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp of fresh chopped basil
- toppings of your choice – mushrooms, peppers (use this as an opportunity to get your child to eat some extra veggies)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 450
- Mix 1 cup of sauce with fresh basil and tomatoes and spread it on the crust
- Place cut up veggies (about 1/2 cup) distributed evenly throughout the crust (don’t put too many or the crust won’t support it)
- Sprinkle 1.5 cups of cheese on top of everything
- Bake for 8-10 minutes and that’s it!
I put my veggies on top, but sometimes mixing them in the sauce helps kids eat them without noticing. Sneaky I know 🙂