You need a crock pot for this recipe. I made it in a 3.5 quart slow cooker and it was completely full.
This is a traditional Russian soup thats great for a cold day. Its very hearty and filling!
- 1/2 lb of beef stew meat cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 medium beets, peeled and chopped finely (or even shredded if you prefer)
- 1 large potato chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 cup of carrots sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp of finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1 (14oz) can of diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted)
- 1 (6 oz) can of tomato paste
- 2-3 cups of beef broth
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1.5 tsp of dry dill weed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp of salt
- 1/2 tsp of pepper
- sour cream (1 tbsp per bowl) for garnish
- Add ingredients to slow cooker in the order they are written and stir them around once everything is in.
- If you have space left in the crock pot, add more beef broth
- Cook on high for 4.5-5 hours or low for 8.5-9 hours
- Garnish with 1 tbsp of sour cream